Easy Beginner Guitar Lesson

Posted by John Hughes | 1:50 PM

It's hard to find a beginner guitar lesson that is actually fun to learn and play. Most teachers like to show you twinkle twinkle little star or mary had a little lamb. Sure they make for a first easy guitar lesson, but do you want to run home and practice a song you haven't listened to since you were in diapers?

While a few of my friends were still fumbling their way through nursery rhymes my guitar instructor was showing me real guitar riffs that rocked.

So lets kick things off with an beginner guitar lesson that won't just rock the cradle. : )

In this easy guitar lesson I would like to share with you my first ever lesson experience.

I'll never forget my first guitar lesson. I was playing an old black acoustic guitar that my dad had bought for 50 dollars. I had wanted an electric guitar badly, and asked him if I could get one. I remember him saying, "If you stick with playin' that cheap acoustic then I'll see about getting you an electric one."

From that moment on I was determined. After about a year of taking lessons and practicing on my own that christmas I got my first electric guitar and 15 watt guitar amp. So if your in my situation hang in there.

Ok now where were we?

In my first ever guitar lesson my teacher showed me a basic blues chord progression. It was fun and not to difficult to play. I remember practicing it for about 30 minutes a day, just playing it over and over until my hand began to cramp up.

Download first easy guitar lesson here.



I have written this riff out two different ways to show you how you can play the same basic rhythm on different parts of the neck.

The first example is the way that I learned it all those years ago. You will notice on the tablature that some notes are held on the same fret numbers but are on different strings. Make sure when playing them that you bar your first finger across the fret board in order to hold the notes down.

Not sure what I'm talking about?

When you bar your finger across the fret board you lay it down flat so that all strings on that fret are pressed down. This is a hard technique to master in the beginning because it takes a considerable amount of hand strength. And practicing bar chords is the only way I know to get better at it. So use this first example to help build your hand strength. Trust me you will need it later when you start learning other bar chords.

The second example is much easier to play. Instead of those awful bar chords you will be playing simple two note per string chords called power chords.

When playing this beginner guitar lesson strum the strings using all down strokes.

The best part about this easy guitar lesson is that it wont take much of your time to master and you will be learning something that is fun to play.

I'll bet once you play it you will realize how many rock and blues songs use these kind of chord progressions in their music. Players like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and B.B. King to name a few.

So have fun with this easy guitar lesson and when you have mastered it check out my other lesson on pentatonic scales. The two go hand in hand.


Serious about learning the guitar?

Visit the #1 online guitar teaching program now!

0 comments